Monday, December 1, 2008

Things happen and we continue to trust in God

I don´t know if I have mentioned it but when Monday comes around I either know what I want to write and have known for a few days or I look at the computer screen and wonder what I should write. Many times it changes right at the last minute. I have a few things to tell today. Let´s see if I remember them all. First off Jesús is doing great. He finally stuggled with a commandment of God. We passed by last night and I asked him how he was doing and he said great. He had overcome his trial and trusted in the Lord. We have one more time to teach him and then he will be ready to be baptized. He plans on visiting his parents back home for the holidays. God prepares people in marvelous ways. Jesús is trying his best to follow God and really wants to be baptized and just wants to know he is ready. As for my ThanksGiving . . . well I didn´t have one. This was the first time in my life where I didn´t celebrate it with Turkey and Stuffing (yum), and mashed patatoes, peas, salads, bread, cranberry, pumpkin pie, and all other pies, and so much more goodness! My new companion, Elder Sorensen, arrived the night before. We went out on the streets talking to the people. We stopped a nice woman and a man. They were on there way home. I had recently tried Sancocho, a great soup from the Repubilica Dominica, and told her about it. She was surprised to know that I knew of that dish. We set up a visit to pass by the following day(ThanksGiving). The thing I love about the mission is that even though hundreds of missioanries have been by before me in this city they never talked to her. The reason being that she has only been here for one week! There are always new people around and usually the ones willing to listen. What a miracle, well actually her name happens to be Milagros :) Then to top it all off a pot of boiling chicken was left on the stove cooking. I got a call from Elder Gallegos and he said with a weary voice, ¨The piso is full of smoke.¨Everything got silent for a second as I kept listening, ¨The entire building smells like smoke.¨ Well from there I then realized that if he was refering to a building then it must still be standing. Noting major happend. The water evaporated, the chicken was well done, and the pot black as can be. All our clothes smeel like thick burnt smoke. I am grateful nothing major happened and thanked my God. Something not so great happened but we still trust in Him. If you want to know what I eat for ThanksGiving, take a guess . . . yes, it was rice, and just that. I would have been happy with turkey and all the fixin´s like we say in Texas but I got to teach Milagros about her Heavenly Father. So many more great things keep happening. One elder just came into the district as well. He is coming from Sestao, where I served! :), and talked about the area. We only had a few minutes today to do so but I will see him every week. I asked about all the people I was teaching and what happened to them. I asked about Raul Victor. He is the one in three pictures at the very end if you click on the August entries. He is my friend and the things he said, I´ll never forget. He one time asked, ¨Does God work through others? Does He bless people by sending others?¨ I had an idea of what he meant and didn´t quite know how to respond to him for the fact that he was talking about my companion and I. He ended up saying, ¨ . . . like you guys?¨ I was touched to hear someone say something so humble and yet it was a realy sincere question he had. Well I found out more about him today. Elder Dredge told me, ¨Of course I know him!¨ ¨We invited him to be baptized and he accepted.¨ Another experience that I can never forget. I can´t seem to thank my God enough because as I do He continues to bless me and my family and even my friends. So I keep thanking Him and try to keep up :) People can say what they may. My testimony will keep growing in Jesus Christ. Nothing changes the fact that God loves us. Nothing changes the fact that Jesus is the way. Even if you may not know them, They still love you . . . They wait with arms streached out as my sister once put it.