Monday, September 15, 2008

More Miracles

Domingo ran into the other elders a few days ago. He told them that he wants to quit smoking. He also told them that he was going to buy a basketball and if we all wanted to play. We ended up playing basketball with him. It was a lot of fun. I hadn't played basketball since Gijon. My shot was way off and didn't get much better. We still got to all know each other better. Two young spaniards passed by and asked if they could play. Church on Sunday was full of old faces but new faces to me. We learned a bit about unity. It felt really good to have the capilla full have many people wanting to learn more about their God. Tomorrow we travel to Gijon for zone conference. When I was in Gijon we had to travel here to Leon. We had wanted to switch it to Gijon but it never happened. Well it never happened till I came to Leon, ha ha. Now that I am in Leon I get to travel to Gijon for zone conference:) The mission continues to be an amazing experience.
Marcelino
A few miracles have taken place and more yet to happen with time from one act of kindness. My companion was with Elder Gallegos before me. They were walking towards the end of one area in the city. They were coming up on a chinese restaurant that was under construction. Elder Gallegos simply said hi to one of the workers working. He turned around and the two Elders saw a rapid change in his face. It lighted up as he said, "Elders!!" Then their faces quickly changed as well:) He begin saying that it was so good to see two missionaries. He is from Bolivia and has been living in a little pueblo outside of Leon for a year. He had asked all the people he knew if the church existed here in these parts. Everyone told him no:( He told the Elders that he was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The following Sunday he came to church. It was so great to have him around. He kept coming Sunday after Sunday. We then found out that he was going to move. We told him where the closest capilla was in his new city. Another miracle happened his last Sunday in Leon. He arrived at church with a young girl. I didn't find out who she was right away because I was directing sacrament meeting. As I directed the meeting and everytime I stood up I looked at her. Everytime I looked she was listening to everything so intentively. She was focused on all the words that were spoken in that meeting. Elder Castellon was nice enough to sit with her and explain things. After the meeting I got to meet her. Her name is Grisela and she is from Bolivia. She was super nice and so poliet. We learned that day in the class about the power of God and the power God gives to us on this earth. She understood that the power of God or the Priesthood is here to bless the lives of others. It has always been so wonderful to understand that I cannot give myself a blessing if in need. I can only use the Priesthood to bless the lives of others. She was grateful for the new truths she was learning and how they can bless her life. She said that the capill was beautiful. She felt something there that day. I found out later where it all started. Marcelino would take the bus to get to the capilla. He got off the bus and at the bus stop there was a young girl crying. He noticed that she was from his country. He talked to her and told her that he was going to church. He told her to go with him to listen to the word of God. I also found out more of the story later on. When Marcelino found her, she was waiting to catch the bus to go to Bilbao. Instead she followed her feelings and went to the church with him. She stayed for all three hours and some. She had to end up catching another bus to Bilabo. I gave her the direction to the capilla in Bilbao. I showed her how to get there and which metro stop to get off at. We got her number and have called her since. She told us she would go to church in Bilbao. We told her of some of our friends to look for when she got to the capilla. She told us that she would also go to Noche de Rama in Bilbao. I know that she will continue on the right path. She truly wants to change her life for not only the better but the best. God truly watches over His children on this earth. We are not alone. As we follow the things we feel are true or follow the Spirit then we will find more and more happiness. Grisela will continue to learn the truths God wants her to know. Elder Gallegos will continue to look for the smallest to biggest opportunities to share what he knows is true and also just say hi to a stranger. Marcelino will continue on the right path inviting people along as he goes throughout his life. I will continue to see miracles happen as I too stay on the path my God has prepared for me.
Rosa
This is what happened on the train ride back from Bilbao. I got up from my seat and took a seat next to some other elders. I happened to sit right next to a monja (nun). She was the type that takes care of the sick and looks after children. She told me she started he life of serving the Lord when she was twenty-one years old. She is in her eighties. That is a long time serving. I mentioned one of my aunts and how she served for so many years. The monja had a book with her and as book markers she showed me many Virgenes. She even had ones from Mexico. She was on her way to Vigo. She said she always saw the missionaries there and always waves to them. She wanted to know more about what we preach. I first gave her a card that states briefly of thirteen beliefs we have. She was so kind to give me one of her cards with a Virgen from Mexico. We talked for a long time. She wanted to know more and by this time we were friends. I showed her a quick slideshow with pictues of the Savior and music. She absolutly loved it. We then watched The Restoration, the story of Joseph Smith, on the train. I explained to her much of the story and bore my testimony of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. From her responses and actions I could tell something impacted her and she didn't quite know how to react. Neither did I because I wasn't planning on taking to a monja for hours on the train ride back. I know she has devoted so much of her life to helping others. I am grateful for her service. I know that now she knows a bit more of what God wants us to know. This life is the time for us to prepare to meet our God. She has done a lot of preparation. I was glad to talk with her and share my testimony. As we share our testimony of things that are true our testimony grows and also when we hear others' testimonies, our testiomony grows too. I told Rosa that the next time she sees the elders or hermanas in Vigo to call them elders or hermanas instead of mormones. I told her that either way they will polietly wave back but this time with a bigger smile. The elders or hermanas will automatically know that she has learned the truth about what we actually believe and stand for and that will be the reason for a bigger smile:) I was glad to meet Rosa. My testimony of the truth has grown. My love for others has as well. No matter how old we are there is still something new to learn. That day on the train I learned a lot.
Consejo
Next Week and with a better title too!